Rust Mechanic™ has been designed to meet the needs of the future. This state of the art rust inhibitor is performance oriented and environmentally compliant.
Rust Mechanic™ instantly bonds with rust, stops its growth, transforms it into a non-rusting paintable surface, and prevents future rust formation.
Rust Mechanic ™ is a rust converter designed to be directly applied to rusty surfaces to convert residual rust on steel surfaces to a harmless and adherent Ferrous chemical compound.
Rust Mechanic ™ works by means of a chemical reaction which transforms rust into a dark, inert protective polymeric coating that seals out moisture. It provides a superior primer coating on rusty steel and iron for the application of oil based paints.
Unlike standard scrape, prime and paint regimes, the user does not have to bring the surface down to bare metal to achieve good results.
Once the coating is allowed to dry, typically overnight, it should be top coated with GilsoFlex™, ClimoPlate™ or other quality oil based paints.
Rust Mechanic ™ will extend the life of rusted iron parts. It’s less expensive and less time consuming than traditional methods.
- Rust Mechanic ™ is a rust converter and inhibitor to stop future rusting.
- Stops rusting
- Protects surfaces to resist the effects of weather
- Ready to use formula
- Does not require primer coat before painting although a primer will provide additional protection
- Eliminates lengthy surface preparations
- Primer for oil based paints
- Does not leave a powdery surface
- Will not peal or crack
- Long-term protection on steel and iron
- Does not contain lead
For more detailed information please see our documents below.
- All rusting steel and iron. Not suitable for non ferrous metals.
- Can be applied using a brush or roller or by aerosol spray can
- Product arrives ready to use
- Read product label for addition application information
Directions for Use
- Its best to remove heavy loose rust with a wire brush or scraper. It is not necessary to remove all of the rust, just the loose rust.
- Read the product label for more information.
- Apply your first coat with a brush or by means of aerosol spray.
- Allow the first coat to dry for 20 to 40 minutes depending upon the ambient temperature.
- Apply a second coat and allow this to dry for up to 48 hours to reach full cure.
- It is not mandatory to use a primer but for the best results apply a primer over the dry finish. Zinc based primers, such as our Zinc Cold Galvanizing Spray or GilsoFlex work best. Allow it to dry.
- Apply a final top coat of ClimoPlate or a quality oil based paint.
Do not use in freezing conditions or temperatures over 50°C
- Color - Salmon Pink (in can), Black (after cured)
- Flash Point- None
- Specific Gravity - 1.06 g/cm3
- Toxicity- Not determined
- Shelf Life - 1Year
- RoHS- Compliant
- Theoretical Coverage Rate- 6.0 square metres per litre at 40 microns DFT
- Application- Brush or roller, can be sprayed by airless spray equipment with suitable thinner, also available in Aerosol spray cans
- Dry Times- Tack-free after 8hrs
- Recoat- Overnight
These documents contain important information about:
- Material Safety Data
- General Information
- Safe use
- First Aid
- Clean Up
- Available Packing Sizes
- and more information
Note: To view the following PDF documents, you will require some type of PDF-reader plugin on your system.
If you need an up-to-date plugin you can install Adobe's free PDF reader from here.
Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS)
Product Data Sheet (PDS)