THIS SELECTION IS FOR A 4LTR CAN OF GILSOFLEX + 0.5LTR SPRAYING THINNER
GilsoFlex ™ is a New Zealand manufactured dense black Bituminous/Gilsonite co-polymer, solvent / water emulsion based sealer and paint developed primarily for New Zealand outdoor conditions.
GilsoFlex ™ is ideally suited for sealing and painting of exposed metal roofs, cement tile roofs and steel structures. It is compatible and suitable to be used on Decramastic and Butynol roofs.
GilsoFlex ™ can also be used to seal and water proof timber, ply wood, brick and block work, under carpet concrete floors, Vehicle undercarriage protection etc.
Because of its disinfecting effect, it will retard the growth of moss or lichen.
Substrate surface preparation requirements are minimal as GilsoFlex ™ can be painted straight over minor surface rust.
Roof requires one coat only and One (1) Litre will cover approximately 3 to 6 Square Meters, depending on roof surface.
- 4ltr will cover approximately 12 to 24 Square Meters
- 10ltr will cover approximately 30 to 60 Square Meters
- 20ltr will cover approximately 60 to 120 Square Meters
- 200ltr will cover approximately 600 to 1200 Square Meters
GilsoFlex ™ is intended primarily for surface application by brushing or airless spraying.
A re-coat might be required after 6 to 8 years.
The colour is a deep mat black when fully cured. It can be painted over only one fully cured, to a colour of your choice.
- GilsoFlex ™ is a Bitumen/Gilsonite sealer and paint combined in one product without the need for a primer undercoat.
- GilsoFlex ™ is a flexible coating and will not break down due to distortion and movement, caused by weather exposure
- GilsoFlex ™ is non-corrosive to metals and can be painted directly over bare steel, galvanised, powder coated, minor surface rust or previously painted steel, with minimum surface preparation requirements.
GilsoFlex ™ is suitable on metal and concrete tile roofs. It can also be used to seal concrete brick and block work, plywood and other timber.
- Can be used on other structures to seal or paint the surface
- Drinking water collected from roofs coated with GilsoFlex ™ is safe to consume
For more detailed information please see our documents below.
For Use On:Suitable for use on any cement tile and corrugated steel roofs, Decramastic roofs, Butynol roofs, steel structures, timber, concrete brick and block work etc.
Surface Preparation:Ensure surface is dry, dust free and not contaminated (Remove Contamination, moss, mould and any old, loose and flaky paint and rust before coating)
Top Coat:Although this product is bitumen based, it will accept acrylic paint on top once properly cured, if a colour change is required.
Colour:When applied it will be a high gloss Black although after setting (approx. 3-4 weeks) it will turn to a deep mat black final finish.
Before Applying:The sealer/paint should be thoroughly stirred for at least 5 mins.
Application:Brush, Roller, Spray (we supply a suitable spray thinner if required)
Coverage:Depends upon surface:
– Tile roofs typically 3 - 6 m2/litre.
– Corrugated metal roofs typically 4 - 8 m2/litre.
No of Coats:Generally only one coat required, a second coat can be applied dependent on the condition of the roof.
Recoat Time:As soon as previous coat is touch dry (approximately 4 hours), an additional coat can be applied if required.
Drying Time:Generally allow 24 hours, depending on surface and ambient conditions for the sealer/paint to be touch dry. The sealer/paint will be fully set in a few weeks and the colour will change from a gloss black to a deep mat charcoal colour.
Thinners:Not recommended, however for spraying please see our web-site for a suitable thinner.
Clean Up:Clean equipment using recommended thinner, kerosine or mineral turpentine
Durability:Recoat after 6 summers if required. In harsh climatic areas a recoat might be required sooner.
– Contains volatile solvent, keep away from heat and open flame.
– Keep out of reach of children.
– Keep closed when not in use, avoid breathing vapour - ensure good air flow when applying.
– Stir very regularly during application to ensure consistency of product.
– Do not apply if surface temperature is below 5°C or above 50°C
Storage, Handling Safety:Refer to attached Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS GilsoFlex) also refer to attached “Health and Safety in the Surface Coating Industry” Brief 3, October 2007 as published by the Department of Labour.
These documents contain important information about:
- Material Safety Data
- General Information
- Safe use
- First Aid
- Clean Up
- Available Packing Sizes
- and more information
Note: To view the following PDF documents, you will require some type of PDF-reader plugin on your system.
If you need an up-to-date plugin you can install Adobe's free PDF reader from here.
Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS)
Product Data Sheet (PDS)
“Health and Safety in the Surface Coating Industry” Brief 3, October 2007 as published by the Department of Labour.